The annual 60m Dash to determine the Fastest Woman in Cork and the Fastest Man in Cork was again held during the St. Patrick’s Day Parade in Cork. The races were again generously sponsored by The Market Tavern on Cork’s Anglesea Street.
Glorious sunshine brought huge crowds to the streets of Cork and they were treated to two fine races along the newly re-vamped Grand Parade.
Marian Andrews (Togher), a member of the successful Irish team at the European Indoor championships in Turin, returned to defend the title she won last year. She won the race, but had to withstand the efforts of junior Joan Healy (Bandon) who pushed the winner all the way. Rebecca Corbett from Leevale finished in third place.
A very close men’s race saw Leevale athlete David Quilligan edge out Tim Harrington (Bandon) and Cathal Owens (Leevale) for the title.
Market Tavern 60m Dash (incorporating Cork County Championship)
1. Marian Andrews (Togher) 7.7
2. Joan Healy (Bandon) 7.8
3. Rebecca Corbett (Leevale) 8.0
4. Tracey Bradfield (Bandon) 8.3
5. Aisling gould (Leevale) 8.4
1. David Quilligan (Leevale) 7.2
2. Tim Harrington (Bandon) 7.2
3. Cathal Owens (Leevale) 7.2
4. Denis Finnigan (UCC) 7.4
5. Edmond O’Halloran (Leevale) 7.5