Athletics Ireland has announced that for the first time they will be sending a team to compete in the European Marathon Cup at the European Track and Field Championships in Zurich in August. The Marathon Cup is a team marathon competition run in conjunction with the European championships Marathon with the results based on the national team’s three fastest finishers.
National Endurance Coach Chris Jones said “It is a big step forward for us to be sending teams to compete in the men’s and women’s marathon cup competition at the European Championships. We have worked closely with the marathon mission squad to ensure that our athletes will be competitive in Zurich.”
Claire finished second in the Dublin Marathon last October with a 2:39:27 .
European Championships Marathon Team Selections
- Nicola Duncan (Galway City Harriers AC) Coach: Nick Anderson
- Claire McCarthy (Leevale AC) Coach: Donie Walsh
- Barbara Sanchez (Clonliffe Harriers AC) Coach Sebastien Locteau
- Maria Cambridge (Dundrum South Dublin AC)
- Paul Pollock (Annadale Striders AC) Coach: Andy Hobdell
- Sean Hehir (Rathfarnham AC) Coach: Dick Hooper
- Thomas Frazer (St Malachy’s AC) Coach: Tony Houchin
- Kevin Seaward (St Malachy’s AC)