Athletics Ireland in conjunction with NI Athletics is pleased to announce the roll out of the brand new Regional High Performance Endurance Squads starting in September. This new initiative is being led by Steve Macklin National Junior Endurance Coach Athletics Ireland, Pat Ryan Director of Development Athletics Ireland, Tom Crick Director of Coaching and Talent Development Athletics NI and a team of regional endurance coaches with the aim to further enhance the development of endurance running in the country. Following on from a successful model that has been running in Munster the past number of years which has helped with the development of some of some of our high performance athletes such as Sean Tobin, Louise Shanahan and Kevin Mulcaire, this model will now be rolled out in each region.
- Key aspects of the performance squads will include the following:
- Weekend Training Camps for athletes & their personal coaches
- Educational workshops incorporating key areas such as S&C, Sports Psychology, Nutrition & Hydration, Planning, Goal Setting, Lifestyle, Biomechanics
- A strong training emphasis at these camps with athletes working together in groups
- A chance for personal coaches and lead coaches to interact and share training ideas
- Regular communication re development & high performance initiatives and competitions
- Mentoring support for personal coaches through the lead coaches & National Junior Endurance Coach
Dates & Venues
The following are the dates & venues for the first set of camps:
- Sep 18th-20th Munster Camp Banna Beach Co Kerry
- Sep 18th-20th Connaught Camp Ballina Co Mayo
- Sep 25th-27th Ulster/NI Camp Gortin Glen Forest Park Omagh Co Tyrone
- Sep 25th-27th Leinster Camp Curracloe Beach Co Wexford
Please find attached the list of selected athletes for these camps in alphabetical order. The criteria for selection is also attached in the document outlining the vision of these squads, please note this differs according to each province to allow for manageable numbers.
The camp numbers must be capped to have enough accommodation to cater for everyone and also to keep the quality of the coaching to a high level. There will inevitably be people disappointed not to be selected but we ask that coaches/athletes/parents respect the selection process. Only athletes named on the selection lists may register at the following links:
All selected athletes must now go to the links above and register their place on the squads by Wednesday 12th August. Any athlete that hasn’t registered at this point may be replaced by the athletes on the reserve list. We would very much appreciate peoples support on making sure this registration process is done quickly and the full details requested are filled in. The registration cost is €15 per athlete. Following this the head coaches from each region will then communicate all details regarding the first camp with the personal coaches/athletes via group e mail.
Any queries should be directed to the National Junior Endurance Coach Steve Macklin at 0876335565 or firstname.lastname@example.org.